Monday 14 November 2011

Wellington SPA. $2.60, LCBO

      I have a bit of an obsession with interesting bottles, in fact I collect them. This leaning tends to make me shy away from trying new beer in cans, but I have been thoroughly impressed with some canned beers lately, like Devils Pale Ale, from Great Lakes Brewing (Review to come).  In light of my canned revelations, I have decided to be more open to trying new beer in cans, and to be honest, most of the stores in the area are running dry on bottled beer I've yet to sample.
      Wellington County Brewery, located in Guelph Ontario, brings us this Special Pale Ale (SPA) in a 473ml can. I had seen Wellington cans in the LCBO on regular occasion before tonight, but this brew is my first sampling of their wares.
      SPA pours a dull caramel colour, with a ruby hint when held up to the light. What little head it musters is gone quickly, leaving only a thin snowflake cap. There doesn't appear to be much carbonation, which is pretty telling for what is in store. I can tell you one thing -pale this ain't. But it is true to form for a traditional style English Ale. After allowing the beer to rest and warm up a bit, the smell is still pretty hard to find, and I end up going back to the can to try to find some aroma. Barley malt, a sweet caramel/ molasses body, and a nutty floral/herbal note that hints at subdued hops not inconsistent with the style. The first big mouthful brings a malty, grainy, sweet flavour, with a fruity/floral finish that is less than bitter but still crisp and refreshing. This is a medium-light beer, not noticeably oily or long, but has a nice creamy texture and peppery character that opens up as it warms.
      Overall, this is a fairly good beer, true to form, although the premium price isn't necessarily reflected in the product -there are more interesting Pale Ales out there  for the same price, and cheaper beers that are just as good for the casual drinker. Nothing really disappointing, but nothing impressive either. It is a nice move away from easy drinkers, but it won't gag your company like a 2X IPA. I don't mind this brew, but if I craved the style, I'd likely gravitate toward Pedigree VSOP.
5/10 on the Pint Scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment