Tuesday 15 November 2011

Renaissance Brewing Company- Stonecutter Ale. $4.60, LCBO

   


There are a couple of things that get me excited about a beer, namely, things that elude to a lot of flavour.
A big, creamy head with colour. Smells reaching you on the pour. Lacing on the glass and a high alcohol content. These attributes usually let me know I'm in for a good ride. I didn't know what to expect when I bought Stonecutter. New Zealand Scotch Ale? Almost five bucks a pint? But when I poured it into the glass, I knew I was in for a treat.
      In the glass, it is a deep chestnut brown, and cloudy enough to block out all but only the edges of light. There is a good, solid head that is pale yellow and creamy. It hangs around long enough for me to get my camera and eventually gives way to a nice little cap. The fragrance isn't exceptionally strong, but it is pleasant and complex, and definitely smells like something I want to drink. Malts abound in the taste (apparently Stonecutter is brewed with nine different ones), but it isn't too sweet, just complex and nicely balanced. The label promises caramel, toffee, chocolate and licorice, and the brew doesn't disappoint. There is also a nice pine flavour, reminiscent of better IPA's although it is more roasted and caramelized, less raw and sour than IPA's. The finish is very good, with floral and resinous hops giving it a bitter, complex end. This creates an incredible balance and a great ride. The 7% alcohol content gives it a nice Scotch component, not unlike Innis and Gunn Oak Cask.
Overall, I really like this Ale. After a few bland euro-lagers, Stonecuttter really stands out as a quality craft beer, and nearly justifies the steep price tag. I give it 8/10 pints, and I would gladly buy it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment