Wednesday 23 November 2011

Brewer Spotlight: Railway City Part 1 of 3

On Saturday, I am going to tour Railway City Brewing in St. Thomas, Ontario. As a lead up to that feature, I will review two of their products that are most readily available- Iron Spike Blonde Ale and Dead Elephant Ale. I purchased both of these bottles from my local LCBO, and they are available on tap at many southern Ontario bars.
Railway City plays on the heritage of St Thomas, mainly it's historic railway station, as well as the story of Jumbo the Elephant, who was killed on the tracks at a classification yard there in 1885. They offer a number of different brews ranging from easy drinkers to beer geek specials, but each I've tasted is high quality and flavour forward.


Iron Spike Blonde Ale pours a beautiful orange amber colour, with a small head, and little active carbonation. This beer smells delicious. I get savoury baked goods, honey, and assertive floral hops in there too. The smell is surprisingly bold and complex. I didn't expect this from a "lighter" beer like this, but that goes to show you the quality in this pint. The taste is a little yeasty, with caramel malt, honey, and light dried fruit. A really nice delicate hoppy finish cleans it all up, very floral and long on the palate, but not too intense. The whole flavour profile is fairly subdued, but it is complex, and very long on the tongue. It just seems to go for miles when you consider the type of beer. I think it could have used a little more carbonation, but the weighty mouthfeel and softness almost give it a cask ale feel, which is really nice if that's what you like. Altogether a nice package with the sweet honey notes, and the balanced hops.
Overall, I am very pleased with this beer. This is the first time I've had it since I started drinking craft beers regularly, and I can honestly say there is a lot of quality and attention to detail. Sure, it's not a revelation, but that is a limitation of the style. What it definitely is though, is a beer that anyone could pick up and drink, and a great gateway for the average person into the world of micro brews. It's also intensely local for me and I think that's really great! I give it 8/10, and I would buy it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment